Sunday, April 1, 2007

Strong or Weak?

After reading and discussing the first two passages assigned in Hollering Creek... by Cisneros, I found myself obsessing over the weakness of self-esteem and worth shown in both stories. While I cannot argue that the women represented in both stories were not strong in some ways, I also cannot deny their inability to demand more and expect more from their relationships and life.

In both readings, they women are illegitimate lovers who in some ways seem content with watching the ones they love, care deeply for others. Both have given up power over their own destinies and in some ways have settled for a fate of being from a certain social class or economic situation. These women are not confident in their abilities as women, instead they are prisoners to their situation and in some respects the men who only love them "in the dark". I see this as a reoccurring theme in Cisneros works. Women and restrictions based on social scaffolding.

One women, a poor farmers daughter is only "worth" being an illegitimate lover to a prestigious man, the other in the same predicament because of her race. While reading I found myself wondering why these women settle for being second, third, or even tenth? They become obsessed with their lack of title and respect, yet their obsession is what mentally empowers them. In my opinion, this obsession controls them and in some ways inhibits them from full living or experiences. I feel like the women in these stories are sort of ghost-like. Living a life that doest really exist, only in the dark in the privacy of their homes. Its a sad, horrible existence. I think another large theme in Cisneros writings concerns women as victims to men and predicament.

Finally, I have enjoyed reading Cisneros work up to this point. I remember reading The House on Mango Street some time ago, and seriously enjoyed it. I am seriously considering further research into these writings.

No comments: